About Greening Taupō
The concept for Greening Taupō arose as a result of vision and discussions between Project Tongariro, the Department of Conservation and Wairakei Golf & Sanctuary who believed that a collaborative organisation could take conservation to the next level in the Taupō community. The goal is to replicate the intensive conservation work occurring within the Wairakei Golf & Sanctuary into the surrounding community. The objective of Greening Taupō is to improve the Taupō environment for people and native wildlife and will involve undertaking restoration planting and pest control to create ecological corridors and increase the number of native birds. Particular attention will be focused on access routes to and from Taupō that will also help create a sense of arrival for Taupō.
With collaboration from the community, Greening Taupō can:
- Create a sustainable future for our environment for generations to enjoy
- Increase natural heritage, protection and restoration
- Protect our unique biodiversity & environment
- Increase recreational opportunities
- Green environment = healthy environment